This week’s recipe is not my own. In fact, I didn’t even make it. This one is all my mom, and it is AMAZING.
I haven’t had the best week, so my mom has been making my favorite comfort foods (because she’s awesome). Tonight, she made homemade tomato soup. I’ve always loved tomato soup and grilled cheese. It’s so simple and delicious. Her soup is based off of Rachael Ray’s creamy tomato soup recipe.
You need a blender or food processor for this recipe. My aunt Nancy thoughtfully gave me a HealthMaster blender, and it’s so easy to make soups with it (I’ll share my butternut squash soup soon). In fact, the only contribution I made to making this dinner was teaching my mom how to use the blender. 😉
The Best Tomato Soup You’ll Ever Eat
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 box of vegetable broth*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- onion powder
- dried basil
That’s it! My mom said it’s only marginally more difficult to make than a pre-made can of soup, and it tastes SO MUCH BETTER.
*You can use chicken broth instead of veggie. A lot of soups call for chicken broth, and the original recipe for this soup does, too. The cool thing about most of those soups, though, is the simple switch of chicken/beef broth to vegetable broth is all it takes to make it vegetarian.
- In a large saucepan, combine the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and spices. (Add as much of the spices as you like, depending on your tastes.) Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once it boils, lower the heat, and add the heavy cream. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until everything is incorporated, stir occasionally.
- Take the soup off the heat, and let it cool for a few minutes. (You don’t want to add anything to a blender or processor when it’s piping hot.)
- Pour the soup into your blender or food processor. The goal is to puree the soup so everything’s blended. In my blender, we decided to set the speed on 8 and blended for 90 seconds.
- Serve and gobble it up!
We had this soup with grilled cheese (did I mention how much I love grilled cheese?). But really, what’s tomato soup without grilled cheese?
I hope you make this soup because it is fantastic. Let me know what you think.
All I know is, I’m already excited for leftovers tomorrow.